Choose a date
Price from € 80 per person
Full day Montserrat Tour with brunch included
Start your full day trip from Barcelona in a comfortable bus towards the mountain of Montserrat which rises majestically up to 4,051 feet (1,236 meter).
Montserrat is a multi-peaked rocky range formed of sedimentary rocks shaped by the wind and rain. The popular imagination has seen human and animal shapes in some of these peaks, giving them names and inventing legends to explain their fantastic origins. This trip to Montserrat will give you the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful and breathtaking views of the Montserrat Mountain, one of nature’s special creations.
With the guide you will visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which holds the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of Verge Moreneta (the Black Madonna). You will be able to see this famous statue of the Black Madonna from a distance. The Benedict sanctuary of Montserrat was founded in 1025 and provides a mystical backdrop for the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia who is enshrined in the monastery's Royal Basilica. The little monastery soon began to receive pilgrims and visitors who contributed to the spread of stories of miracles and wonders performed by the Virgin. Today, Montserrat has been modernized to continue attending the pilgrims needs, one thousand years after it was originally founded.
We will take you to the audio visual exhibition about the history and creation of Montserrat. Afterwards we will enjoy on a short walk. We will go by a paved road till arrive to the viewpoint of “Creu de Sant Miquel” that offers stunning views of the mountain and few meters ahead you will discover the “Capilla de Sant Miquel”.
At the end Brunch will delight your ears with the Escolanía of Montserrat, one of the oldest boys’ choirs in Europe (XIV Century). On some days the children's choir sings in the monastery and so you may be fortunate enough to enjoy one of their delightful performances. Their timeframe is subjected to the school calendar and special events of the choir and monastery.
At 01:15 PM approx. the guide will make you an exclusive visit to the Sacristy that was built by the architect Francesc Folguera and which consists of a hall, a spacious room with cupboards and a small apse. In the vestibule, there is a sarcophagus and a statue, a bronze of Joaquim Ros, of the Venerable Friar Josep of Saint Benet, a monk who died in 1723 with fame of saint. The whole vault is decorated in a concrete idealism style by Josep Obiols with biblical allegories of the Eucharist and representations of Christmas, Easter and Pentecost. The mahogany cabinets on the side walls have marquetry panels - also designed by Josep Obiols - representing saints and characters linked to Montserrat. The whole set is of great beauty and very balanced.
At the end with the guided tour around 02:00 PM you will have free time to taste typical handmade liquors of Montserrat or take the funicular (ticket not included). At 06:15 PM will be the return to Barcelona.
Balmes 5, Barcelona
Balmes 5, Barcelona
Things to bring
- Printed Voucher
- Air conditioned motor coach.
- Bilingual guide.
- Exclusive entrance to the Sacristy.
- Walk to the viewpoint of the Creu de Sant Miquel and the chapel of Sant Miquel.
- Brunch of local products such a cold meats, cheeses and dessert paired with two cup of wine and one cup of cava, typical sparkling wine of Catalonia.
- Taste of 3 typical liquors. Handmade by the monks of the monastery.
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”. The exhibition is based on three fundamental pillars: mountain, monastery and sanctuary. It explains to its visitors the history, natural creation and significance of this pilgrimage site.
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Ticket del Funicular
Cancellations more than a week in advance only administration costs of 15%
Cancellation between a week and 48 hours prior to departure date: 50% of the total amount
Cancellation less than 48 hours prior to departure date: 100% of the total amount
No show: no restitution
- Proper dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
- Please be aware that some walking is included in this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold.
- All the schedules that are detailed are approximate and may vary according to extraordinary conditions. We suggest you be attentive at all times to the instructions of the guide.